MBFA Meets with Key Hill and Administration Staff Promoting Muni Priorities
The Municipal Bonds for America Council hosted a “virtual fly-in” for Steering Committee members over the past week. The meetings focused on municipal bonds in the context of infrastructure financing and proved productive as both Congress and the Administration have begun to take concrete steps towards the introduction of a massive infrastructure package.
The MBFA met with senior staff representing:
- U.S. Department of Transportation Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)-Member of Senate Finance Committee
- House Ways and Means Minority Tax Counsel
- Rep. Brad Schneider (D-IL)-Member of House Committee on Ways and Means
The recent introduction of the LIFT Act in the House and companion Senate bills helped to guide the conversations, however, the conversations went beyond the legislation and included:
- Restoration of tax-exempt advance refundings;
- Expansion of PABs including ESG;
- Raising the BQ debt limit; and
- Reinstatement of direct-pay bonds exempt from sequestration.
This event is part of the ongoing MBFA effort to ensure Congress includes municipal bond financing in any federal infrastructure package. We plan to host future fly-ins as legislation continues to progress, including in-person events in DC.
If you would like to get more involved with the MBFA, please contact Brett Bolton at email@example.com